Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

He's gone Home...

February the 6th at 6:25pm my Pappy went home. He is walking with Jesus and will never worry about another pacemaker replacement. I just wanted to tell you a tad bit about him...


Kenneth Dennison was born March 23rd, 1926, inside what is now Mammoth Cave National Park. He was adopted and raised in poverty. He collected ginseng in the park and trapped foxes for money so his family could buy clothes. He dropped out of school in the 6th grade to work in a labor camp, and later passed his GED after only a years worth of study. He served in World War 2, held the line at the battle of the bulge, rescued his brother from a concentration camp, provided for an orphan, and returned a hero. State side he married, raised a family, while caring for his brother; reorganized and revolutionized the job corps program, made several presentations in Washington DC to the labor department, was placed over inspections and problem solving for all the job corps, he even had a senator on speed dial. Kenneth Dennison was a Church Deacon, Elder, Teacher, Camp Speaker, and a mighty fine singer. The man's life reads like a movie; yet none of his many accomplishments compare to one thing. While his given name was Kenneth Dennison, to most of us he was known simply as Pappy, he is my Pappy, and my hero.

            A simple, unwavering, and powerful love for God, His family, a job well done, and all of those around him make up the hallmark of Pappy's life and that is what he will be remembered for. Somehow with all the greatness in his life, Pappy was a simple family man full of integrity and an undeniable love for God.


That is my Pappy.

I, sadly enough, do not have a picture of him with me, though I will post one when I get home. I do however have a picture of exactly what made me smile and laugh not 10 minutes after my Pappy passed.


This is an old picture of Sammy I found on my Mom's computer. It amazes me that 19 days from being 1 year old and I still feel about as much wonder looking at him as I ever did. I love that little guy, and his laughter, and knowing he is happy, will always make my day.

I hope that is the beginning of me being like Pappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment