Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Holy Supermassive Tornado Batman!

 

solar super tornado

I am sure a song will not be long in coming. We already have Supermassive Black-hole, now we are moving on to solar tornados. I guess none of us would be in Kansas if something like that came close. Seriously though, I am sure that is the level of scary and intimidating that residents of Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee felt over this last round of tornados.

The amazing thing is how communities pull together to overcome what seems an overwhelming blow.

Many times in our lives things seem intimidating enough to overwhelm us, especially when you are already rebuilding. Jenny and I have been looking at cars. As I look our money dwindles with the days in the month and the prices seem to get even higher. The task of finding the right vehicle (I want a Rondo or Equinox), with low enough miles, and the right price… yeah overwhelming.

Intimidating things often aim at weakening our resolve, I have sure been ready to give up on getting a new vehicle once or twice. Nehemiah knew this temptation well.

6:1 Now when Sanballat and Tobiah and Geshem the Arab and the rest of our enemies heard that I had built the wall and that there was no breach left in it (although up to that time I had not set up the doors in the gates), 2 Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, “Come and let us meet together at Hakkephirim in the plain of Ono.” But they intended to do me harm. 3 And I sent messengers to them, saying, “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?” 4 And they sent to me four times in this way, and I answered them in the same manner. 5 In the same way Sanballat for the fifth time sent his servant to me with an open letter in his hand. 6 In it was written, “It is reported among the nations, and Geshem also says it, that you and the Jews intend to rebel; that is why you are building the wall. And according to these reports you wish to become their king. 7 And you have also set up prophets to proclaim concerning you in Jerusalem, ‘There is a king in Judah.’ And now the king will hear of these reports. So now come and let us take counsel together.” 8 Then I sent to him, saying, “No such things as you say have been done, for you are inventing them out of your own mind.” 9 For they all wanted to frighten us, thinking, “Their hands will drop from the work, and it will not be done.” But now, O God, strengthen my hands.

Nehemiah 6:1-9 (ESV)

 

The Israelites made fantastic work on the wall and the more progress they make the more feverish the opposition. They attempted to lure him out and then even attempted to lie about him to the king. This was some very serious opposition.

The idea was scare them enough and they will be overwhelmed. Note what Nehemiah did.

He prayed. Not just a simple God help, but specifically to the challenge. They wanted to make the Builder’s hands weak, Nehemiah prayed for God to strengthen his hands.

Often it is a very specific attack that comes up against us and often in a rather direct way. Why not pray in an equally direct way?

If the enemy attacks you with fear and intimidation aimed at your relationships, you pray for your relationships to be God centered and strong. If the enemy attacks you with worry pray for peace. You get the idea.

It isn’t a big surprise, or massive revelation, but it is important. A Builder must maintain constant and specific communication with the Master Builder. You must constantly reference the blue prints.

My rebuilding process sure hasn’t been easy. Lord knows that the task ahead of us seems beyond our capability. Of course that is how God gets glory from it. It seems like every time we get forward a step we are reminded of where we aren’t, or how far we want to be.

I just try and remember to pray specifically for contentment and focus on the task at hand and then back it up by looking at the blessings of where we are.

sammy eyes mono 2_54_2012-03-29_10-38-03_648

1 comment:

  1. Nehemiah was a very courageous, focused man. He believed in his calling and had faith in his God. Eyes focused never swerving to the left or the right. Imagine if we were all more like that!

    Or if we were all as pure and happy as Sammy!

    ReplyDelete