Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dreaming...

I've been dreaming lately... dreaming of a new lens so I can step up my portrait photography. A lens much like this one.  
The f stop is great and it would widen my 50D out to a normal wide angle lens. This would allow me to get up and close, while allowing a wide enough angle to draw the viewer in. I love the crisp, real view feeling that these give.

The other great benefit is that the fixed focal length forces you to accept the challenge of shooting up close and personal.

Alas the time has not come, for the price is yet to high!


Speaking of beautiful portraits, I found one today on a blog that I would really like to share with you. The photo was on http://kirstenberkabile.blogspot.com/


     



      The wonderful part of this picture to me is the beautiful use of shadow to draw attention to the subject's eyes. The color is striking, without being over saturated, and the tinted window looks almost like a painting. Simply wonderful. 

The rest of Kirsten's pictures have the same warm and engaging charm. She does a very good job.








As for my picture for the day, I am sure it appeals to few, but I really enjoyed the poetry behind it.


The pure new snow on the burned out char of a tree seemed enough to make me smile. To often we choose to see ugly or beauty. Even among our art we draw attention to the beauty of life among the dead.

Yet seldom do we seem to be able to celebrate each season for what it is. Winter brings death and quiet. The world settles into a soft hush like the slow rhythm of sleep. 

All find this season. Eventually. Yet, there is beauty in a story coming to a close; if it was well written. And death is the greatest closing. So the question then is was it well written? 

I pray we can all meet a well deserved rest after a long, warm, and well written story. My grandparents are nearing their homecoming. While I know that I will miss them terribly, I must be happy for them. Life is filled with rush and flurry, hurt and earthy striving. They have written well the story of their lives, and I hope to do half as well with mine. A story is beautiful at it the close because every end brings life anew. I pray the Lord would let them celebrate this season of their lives and know, whatever journey lay ahead, and ending is only a chance to start again.

      I pledge you in this cup of grief,Where floats the fennel's bitter leaf!The Battle of our Life is brief,
The alarm, - the struggle, - the relief, -Then sleep we side by side.
    - An Excerpt from The Goblet of Life by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment