Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mid day update....

Ok so just wanted to throw up a quick mid day update. Jenny and I are preparing to leave tomorrow for TN, with a stop over in Bama. She is seven months pregnant and we are embarking on a sixteen plus hour trip... sound smart? Well her parents are paying for it and really want us to come up, so that's the plan. We still have packing (which i should be doing now) and preparing for my brother and his wife to visit yet to do. Oh the joys of chaos. Oh well.

I also wanted to comment on the lunar eclipse last night. It was cloudy in Houston so I didn't really get to see much of anything. I did look up the time elapse footage of the eclipse, so I guess I got to see some of it.

And last but not least was the Philly/ Giants game this past weekend. I didn't get to see the game here in Houston, but oh my word what a game. I have been a long time Vick fan. I know there are people who will never forgive him for the dog fighting, but he is the only 'celebrity' I have ever seen offer no excuses, apologize sincerely, and go above what is required of him to make amends. I think that is worthy of respect. I also like listening to his interviews. When asked a question he always gives credit to the team and the coaches and always takes blame for himself. This stands in stark contrast to the arrogance and pride of New England players. They were almost beaten by Green Bay, and were still cocky about it.

In all honesty I think there is something a good many of us could learn from Vick. Humility and hard work combined with a sense of responsibility can cover over a multitude of sins. Vick's past is becoming less and less of an issue for many people, why? Because he lives out what he professes.

Not that the winning hurts...

Now lets throw away any of the details but that last part.... how many people do you know are very good at living out what they talk about? Unless they are jerks that is. Not many. In fact it has become so rare a quality that an entire generation of young people are convinced it is better to be rude and a jerk so as not to be a 'hypocrite'. As wrong as that thought process is because it ignores the fact that reality is made by our actions and feelings are fleeting and often follow what we do, it still shows the state of our cultures self control.

Maturity was once defined as ones ability to practice self denial. If this, very fitting, definition was to be our standard I am afraid very few would be mature. We lack the self control, self denial, or maturity to live by what we say we believe. How often this has hurt the Church, how often now it characterizes people in general.

I hope Vick's personal success continues and that he is able to live a legacy worthy of passing on. I hope I can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment