Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Faces....


Ok so there is a story behind this post. I lived at my grandparents house for about a year. During this time I noticed the haunting image of a significantly elderly elven man in the linoleum floor of the bathroom. From the moment I first saw the character I could see nothing else. Now before you start wondering about my sanity. I have always searched things with a pattern or grain for any kind of image, much like searching clouds for animals.

SO with my sanity established... My grandparents suffer from Alzheimer's and have been moved to a nursing home. The family is now talking about selling their home. That is really difficult for me to think about, for many different reasons. However what is important is that the idea that I may never be in their house again inspired me to photograph my little elven friend and share him. The above picture is slightly edited by removing some distractions and darkening existing lines so they would show. However, beyond the darkening, no further drawing of any type took place. Therefore the portrait is somewhat artistically rendered to offer everyone a chance to meet my little elven friend.

The process also served another bit of inspiration. The following picture was taken at an art museum here in Houston called the Menil. The original picture was one straight line trench with one curl, which makes up the right eye. I then added the rest.




I realized that the black and white was, perhaps, not the best way to display the image for detail's sake, however I felt the black and white fit the atmosphere better. While I doubt a high class establishment like The Menil would agree, I think this fellow would make a wonderful addition to their grounds!

I know these pictures are quite different from my normal work, but I had such fun and such inspiration that I had to share. I hope you enjoy them!

P.S. Through the holiday season I will be traveling some, therefore the post frequency may go down slightly. Please check back often as I will post whenever I am able. Soon to come: fall colors (yes we did see some), Belly shots (if I can get my wife to do them), and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment