Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Father’s Role Model

Steve Farrar’s Point Man has been my object of study recently. I was excited to receive it from my in-laws  and more that interested with Samuel being due in February.
If you are unaware Point man is about male leadership in the family and I plan on sharing some of it’s insights as I go along.
Farrar says that satan has two main goals in attacking the family. #1 is to alienate the husband and wife from one another, strategy #2 is to alienate the father from his children. As far as I cant tell both strategies are working extremely well.
Farrar goes on to say that most men are unaware of what our role really is. Even when a man stands in his family, he seems lost as to what he is standing for. Farrar says our job is, “to save the boys.” I agree. I have always believed that men are the key to the family. God’s model for building healthy families is based around the leadership of a healthy, Godly, father.
The model in place from Adam and Eve until the industrial revolution was large amounts of time spent, father with son, in an apprentice type relationship. In this way being a man of God and a Father is taught by role model.  Farrar goes on to say;
I had five goals for saving my boys. It was (and still is) my job as their father to model for them the importance of:
  • Knowing and obeying Jesus Christ
  • Knowing and displaying godly character
  • Knowing and loving my wife
  • Knowing and loving my children
  • Knowing my gifts and abilities so i can work hard and effectively in an area of strength, rather than weakness, contribute effectively to the lives of others – and have a little fun at the same time.
I really like Farrar’s list and his analysis of the situation. Point Man is an older book and so his point is only more so made by the trends of time. It is vital that father’s model for their children and spend not just quality, but a good quantity of time with them.
Your being a successful businessman will do nothing for your children. Your being a successful father will.

The picture for today picks up on the masculinity in this post, I hope you enjoy!
knight b w

No comments:

Post a Comment